- What is Food Insecurity?
Infographic about Food Insecurity in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark
- Juggling the Budget is an Increased Challenge when Income Source is Minimum Wage or Social Programs
Flu Season is Fast Approaching - What You Need to Know!
- Media Release
- Ways to Prevent Spreading Influenza
- Find a Flu Clinic at a Local Pharmacy
Creative Kids Infection Control Campaign – Due November 10th
- Encourage your JK to Grade 8 kids to send in designs or stories about keeping healthy; check out the details here.
NutriSTEP®: Nutrition Questionnaire for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Curious about your child’s eating habits? The NutriSTEP® questionnaire looks at your child’s eating, physical activity and screen time habits. Complete the questionnaire to get tips and tools for the whole family on healthy eating, healthy growth, feeding and mealtimes, meal planning, physical activity and more!
Do you work with toddlers and /or preschoolers? Find out how you can partner with the Health Unit to offer the NutriSTEP® program.
Are your child’s vaccines up to date? Vaccines protect children from diseases that can spread easily in schools and daycare centres.
- Check out what vaccines your child needs for school
- Information about school and daycare vaccination
Online Food Safety Disclosure System: INSIGHT
- Search Food Facility Inspection Results
- Media Release: Food Establishment Inspection Information is Available Online
Information About the Increase of Pertussis (Whooping Cough) in the Area
Media Release - Check Your Immunizations - Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Advisory
Pertussis Fact Sheet from PHAC
Information About the Increase of Mumps Activity in Ontario
New Ministry of Health Fact Sheet
Mumps Patient Fact Sheet
Opioid Community Response
- August 31st is International Overdose Awareness Day
- Drugs Containing Illicit Fentanyl found in Leeds Grenville - March 1, 2017
- Naloxone kits are now available at the Health Unit for people who are using opioids and their friends and families!
Talking to Youth about Drugs
- Tips on talking to young people about drugs including marijuana and prescription drugs
- Tips on helping to prevent youth from taking drugs
Tetanus Vaccine Information
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis and Polio (Tdap-IPV) Vaccine Factsheet
Zika Virus Information
- Chief Public Health Officer of Canada and Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health report the first positive case of sexually transmitted Zika Virus
- Learn more about the Zika Virus and Public Health Agency of Canada's Travel Advisory
Proud Partner of The Healthy Kids Community Challenge Leeds and Grenville
HKCC Leeds and Grenville Promotes Water Does Wonders
- Like The Healthy Kids Community Challenge Leeds and Grenville on Facebook!
Thinking of Quitting Smoking?
- Find Out All the Ways You Can Quit
Outbreak Status Report
- November 13, 2017 Outbreak Status Report
Making the Healthy Food Choice, the Easy Choice
Make the Healthy Food Choice the Easy Food Choice at Play and at School
More information on making the healthy food choice the easy choice
P.A.L.S. - Playground Activity Leaders in Schools
This program encourages all children to participate in activities at recess regardless of their gender, size or ability.
- Join our P.A.L.S. Facebook page!
The New Skin Cancer Prevention Act Now In Force
- Find out more information in our Sun Safety section
- Skin Cancer Prevention Act
Infant Feeding Survey
- Baby-Friendly Initiative Information
Up to Date Food Recalls
- Food Recall Alerts - High-Risk
Telephone Survey of Residents
- If you have been called by the Institute for Social Research, click here for more information.
Recent Press Release
Ontario Youth Support Making Flashy Tobacco Products and Packaging a Thing of the Past
Part of what makes smoking appear cool and attractive to young people is product design and packaging. That is why Freeze the Industry, a group of health conscious youth dedicated to stopping the tobacco industry from marketing its products to young people, are holding a demonstration on Parliament Hill on November 9 to ask the federal government to pass Bill S-5, which will introduce plain and standardized tobacco packaging and products in Canada. The Bill is currently in the second reading phase.
Juggling the Budget is an Increased Challenge when Income Source is Minimum Wage or Social Programs
A family of four with one full time minimum wage earner, a single, female-led family with two children receiving Ontario Works or a male on disability benefits all struggle to cover the cost of basic living needs. In Leeds, Grenville and Lanark, almost 10% of our total households are food insecure. Food insecurity means not having enough money to buy nutritious food. Those who are food insecure are at higher risk for poor physical, oral and mental health.