2016 International Year of Pulses
- Media Release: 2016 International Year of Pulses
- These gluten-free ancient edible beans are high in taste, protein and fibre and low in cost, fat, and sodium. Go to Pulse Canada for recipes, nutrition information, history, education resources and more.
Zika Virus Information - Updated April 26, 2016
- Chief Public Health Officer of Canada and Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health report the first positive case of sexually transmitted Zika Virus
- Learn more about the Zika Virus and Public Health Agency of Canada's Travel Advisory
Gananoque Prenatal Classes Starting May 3rd
- Join us for Prenatal Classes starting May 3rd in Gananoque. Four classes, two hours per week can help families gain the knowledge they need in order to have a healthy pregnancy, a healthy birth experience, and a healthy baby. Ask a public health nurse questions and meet other pregnant families. To register call 1-800-660-5853.
Hepatitis A Outbreak linked to Frozen Berries - April 15, 2016
Recall Notice and Information on What You Should Do
Further Information About the Retailer Actions
Public Health Agency of Canada Information
April is Oral Health Month - Get more info about the Healthy Smiles Ontario Program
(6 Provincial Dental Programs Amalgamated Into 1)
- Information about the New Program for the New and Past Clients
- Application Form for Eligible Clients – Print or Complete Online
- Information About the New Program for Health Professionals
- Fee Guide for Dental Providers
Talking to Youth about Drugs
Tips on talking to young people about drugs including marijuana and prescription drugs
Tips on helping to prevent youth from taking drugs
Food Premises News Bulletin 2016
- Attention all food premises owners, operators and staff.
The health unit would like to inform you of some recent changes that will affect your food businesses.
Proud Partner of The Healthy Kids Community Challenge Leeds and Grenville
HKCC Leeds and Grenville Promotes Run. Jump. Play. Every Day.
- Like The Healthy Kids Community Challenge Leeds and Grenville on Facebook!
It's Not Too Late to Get Your 2015/2016 Free Flu Immunization
- Information About Influenza Vaccine
- Find a Local Participating Pharmacy
Thinking of Quitting Smoking?
- Find Out All the Ways You Can Quit
Learn More About Hunger in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark
- Media Release: Hunger in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark, 2015
- The Cost of Feeding Your Family in 2015
- Hunger in LGL and What You Can Do to Help
- Learn More About the Root Causes of Hunger and the Solutions
Changes in Publicly-Funded Tubersol and TB Skin Testing
- Changes in Publicly-Funded Tubersol and TB Skin Testing Communique
Outbreak Status Report
- May 3, 2016 Outbreak Status Report
Every Kid in Our Communities of Leeds & Grenville Surveys
Triple P Awareness and Accessibility Survey
Rethink Your Drinking
- When it Comes to Alcohol… Time Matters
REMINDER: The Health Unit No Longer Accepts Ticks
- Information on Tick Submission Changes
- Information about Ticks and Lyme Disease
Making the Healthy Food Choice, the Easy Choice
Make the Healthy Food Choice the Easy Food Choice at Play and at School
More information on making the healthy food choice the easy choice
P.A.L.S. - Playground Activity Leaders in Schools
This program encourages all children to participate in activities at recess regardless of their gender, size or ability.
- Join our P.A.L.S. Facebook page!
NEW Online Prenatal Class!
- Anyone can support a healthy pregnancy – learn how!
The New Skin Cancer Prevention Act Now In Force
- Find out more information in our Sun Safety section
- Skin Cancer Prevention Act
The Health Unit is a Proud Partner of foodcoreLGL
Lanark, Leeds and Grenville Food Charter: Community Survey Results
- Go to foodcoreLGL.ca and endorse the charter!
Infant Feeding Survey
- Baby-Friendly Initiative Information
Walk-In Counselling Clinic
Open Doors for Lanark Children and Youth is offering free counselling for youth under 18 years at the Health Unit’s Almonte site.
Up to Date Food Recalls
- Food Recall Alerts - High-Risk
Telephone Survey of Residents
- If you have been called by the Institute for Social Research, click here for more information.
Recent Press Release
2016 International Year of Pulses
2016 is the International Year of Pulses, not heart beat pulses but rather the type of food called pulses. Pulses are dried peas, beans, lentils and chickpeas. If you’ve eaten split pea soup, baked beans, hummus or kidney beans in chilli then you’ve eaten pulses. Pulses do not include fresh green beans or peas, soybeans or peanuts.
May 1 to May 7, 2016 is Emergency Preparedness Week
The first week of May is Emergency Preparedness Week across the country. The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit works with our local municipalities, counties and government agencies to help reduce the impact of emergencies and disasters on people living in our communities.