|Food Safety - Food Handler Certification Program
Food Handler Certification Program
- Well informed food handlers provide safer foods to the public, understand their responsibilities clearly and may improve the bottom line of a business.
- After successfully passing a standardized exam with a minimum grade of 70% you will be a recognized “Certified Food Handler”
- Many institutions and food safety minded businesses require this certificate as a condition for employment. It is mandatory in some health unit jurisdictions across the province.
- This certificate is accepted by all health units in Ontario.
- This credential may improve your chances of finding a job in the food industry.
- Seminars are conducted by certified public health inspectors with a clear understanding of issues commonly occurring in food premises and up to date knowledge of public health legislation
Topics Covered in this Course Include:
- The role of the Board of Health and Public Health Inspector
- Public Health legislation and regulations
- Food safety management (including Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Safe food handling, preparation, and storage
- Basic microbiology
- Food handler hygiene
- Design, sanitation and maintenance
- Prevention of food allergies
- Food related issues arising from emergencies
- Information on planning and opening a food premises
- The full day course is offered free of charge at the venues listed and includes course materials.
- Seminars run from 9 am to 4 pm (approximately) with registration beginning at 8:30 am.
- Attendees are responsible for their own lunches and encouraged to bring brown bag lunch (Lunch break 30 minutes)
- Every year as a minimum, courses will be offered in the Brockville office on the last Monday of April and October and in our Smiths Falls office on the last Thursday of April and October.
- Courses for groups of 10 plus may be arranged to be delivered in locations in your community and on week days that suit the group requesting the course at a fee of $25.00 per person.
To Register for a Seminar, Please Phone:
- Brockville Office: 613-345-5685 or 1-800-660-5853
- Smiths Falls Office: 613-283-2740 or 1-800-660-5853
Online Option for Food Handler Certification:
If you are unable to attend one of our seminars, but would like to work towards your food handler certification, you can complete a course over the internet at http://www.ingoodhands.ca. A fee applies.
When you have completed the study sessions on line, contact the health unit to arrange for the exam. A $25.00 fee will be applied.