Free Online Learning Module
This free educational module focuses on issues specific to the institutional food setting. It builds on the foundation provided by the Food Handler Certification course which you must complete prior to enrolling in this module. Staff working with food in the hospital, retirement home, long term care and day care setting will benefit from completing this module. This module takes approximately 25 minutes to complete. Upon completion of the module and achieving 70% on the short quiz, you will receive a certificate.
Food Handler Certification Program
Food Handler Training Courses
The Health Unit has several options for food handlers to receive training and certification. These options include classroom style learning with an instructor, online learning, and home study. The most common option is the classroom style course. Six free food handler certification courses are offered at the health unit each year. These courses take place on an alternating basis between the Brockville and Smiths Falls offices in a classroom like setting. Registration is on a first come first serve basis. In order to allow all food premises access to the free courses, we reserve the right to limit the number of employees from the same business attending the same free session. The other options for online learning and home study can be taken at any time and a specific fee applies.
Courses for groups of a minimum of 10 or more participants may be arranged to be delivered at your workplace on a week day of your choice for a fee of $25.00 per person. Payment is required prior to the course and includes all course materials and the exam.
- Well informed food handlers provide safer foods, understand their responsibilities clearly and may improve the bottom line of a business.
- After successfully passing a standardized closed book exam with a minimum grade of 70% you will be recognized as a “Certified Food Handler”. You will be provided with a wallet sized certification card within 15 business days following successful completion of the exam.
- The Ministry of Health encourages all high and moderate risk food premises to have a minimum of one operator and food handler with food handler certification present at all times during hours of operation.
- Many institutions and food safety minded businesses require this certificate as a condition for employment.
- Food handler training and certification is mandatory in some health unit jurisdictions across the province.
- This certificate is accepted by all health units in Ontario.
- This credential may improve your chances of being hired for a job in the food industry.
- Seminars are conducted by certified public health inspectors with a clear understanding of issues commonly occurring in food premises and up to date knowledge of public health legislation.
- Food Handler Certification expires after 5 years, so ensure your certificate is current.
Topics Covered in this Course Include:
- Introduction to Food Safety and Legislation
- Food-borne Illness
- Conditions Bacteria Require for Growth (FATTOM)
- Safe Food Handling
- Understanding Cross-contamination
- Receiving and Storage
- Safe Food Service
- Food Handler Hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Pest Control
- Keeping Food Safe During Emergencies
- HACCP Food Safety Management
Registration for Classroom Style Food Handler Training Course
- FREE Food Handler Training Courses
- Registration starts at 8:30am. This full day course runs from 9am to 4pm with a 1/2 hour break for lunch (please bring your own lunch and refreshments).
- Picture I.D. is required to take the exam.
- The full day course is offered free of charge and includes course materials and the exam.
- Courses are limited to 25 participants. Registration is on a first come basis.
- Courses are available on the following dates:
Click on the links above to register for a Seminar, or please phone:
- Brockville Office: 613-345-5685 or 1-800-660-5853
- Smiths Falls Office: 613-283-2740 or 1-800-660-5853
Online Option for Food Handler Certification:
If you are unable to attend one of our seminars, but would like to work towards your food handler certification at your own pace, you can complete a course over the internet by paying a fee online and registering at:
When you have completed the study sessions online, contact the health unit to arrange for the exam. A copy of your In Good Hands completion certificate is required. A $25.00 fee will be applied to write the exam. Alternatively you may arrange to write your exam for free on the same day as one of our in class courses following the training session on the dates provided above.
Home Study Option
If you do not have access to a computer to take the online course or cannot attend one of our full day courses there is also a home study version of the course. You can arrange to pick up a copy of the course material for $15.00. The home study course manual is also available in French upon request. A $25.00 fee will be applied to write the exam.
Recertification may be obtained by successfully passing the exam. It is recommended that you take a current course or complete one of the other options prior to challenging the exam. In some exceptional cases the health unit will consider permitting individuals to challenge the food handler training exam without completing the full food handling course. Please call ahead to reserve a time to take the exam. A fee of $25.00 applies.