Are Your Kids Alright?
- Keep everything to do with substances (drugs, equipment, etc.) somewhere safe and away from your children such as a locked box or a lockable medicine cabinet. Ontario Works may be able to help you purchase a lockable box.
- Educate yourself about Hep B & C and HIV, are passed on and make sure that other family members don’t use your personal hygiene items like razors and toothbrushes.
- Read your kids stories before bed.
- Take time each day to play a game with your kids.
- If your kids are looking for your attention, take 10 minutes and play with them.
- Buy your necessities like food, toiletries and baby supplies etc. at the beginning of the week and give a trusted friend or family member some cash to keep for the end of the week in case you run out of food.
- Help your children understand (if they are already aware of your use) that your substance use is an adult problem and that using substance is not the best way to cope with everyday stresses, life’s hardships etc.
- Only allow people that you trust and know well to look after your children.
- Make a point of routinely taking all used needles back to your local Needle Exchange Program. Bring them back every time you go to pick up new equipment.
- Try to make a point of having one day or an evening a well where you do not use any substances so that your children can invite a friend to come over to play.
- If you are going to drink alcohol or take drugs, have someone who can drive.
- Become a part of the community in a positive way such as volunteer in a local group such as the Community Harm Reduction Steering Committee, the Municipal Drug Strategy etc.
- Contact different agencies who might be able to provide you support- think about the things you need help with and find out who can do what.
More Resources in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark
- Support for Pregnant or parenting women with children under the age of 6, who are currently experiencing or have experienced problems with Opioid use. 1 855 766-1101 or visit the website.
- Ontario Works
- Ontario Early Years – Playgroups and parenting support
- Learning Earning and Parenting Program
- Language Express
- Preschool Speech and Language Services - 1-888-503-8885
- Family and Children’s Service of Lanark, Leeds and Grenville
- Le Leche League
- Breastfeeding Support
Brockville Contact Julie - 613-925-0067