What is the Community Harm Reduction Steering Committee?
The Community Harm Reduction Steering Committee (CHRSC) brings community partners together to exchange ideas on how to reduce harms related to drug use in our communities.
Members of this group are involved in various initiatives, such as educating the public and professionals about harm reduction and reducing stigma surrounding injection drug use.
We have members from the Health Unit, Change Health Care (Methadone Maintenance Clinic), Tri County Addictions Services, Social Services, Police, Connections, HIV/AIDS Regional Services, Canadian Addictions & Mental Health, and local community members.
What are our Priorities?
- Prescription safety; see the resources developed below
- Drugs and Parenting; see the Are Your Kids Alright Resource below
- Naloxone; program awareness
- Safe disposal of needles
- Party drugs presentation to youth and professionals
- Trauma informed practices
- Naloxone; program promotion
- Fentanyl Patch 4 Patch program
Responsibilities of the Committee
- To educate the public about the benefits of harm reduction strategies related to drug use and to increase community support for these strategies.
- To educate community partners and front line workers about harm reduction strategies related to drug use and to reduce the stigma surrounding people who use drugs.
- To improve the health and safety of the injection drug users, their families and the community related to drug use through the use of harm reduction strategies.
- To ensure that clients are involved with the committee in order to improve the health, safety and quality of life of people who use drugs.
- To ensure the progression of harm reduction strategies based on local surveillance data including the expansion of the needle exchange program
The CHRSC is looking for anyone who has lived experience with drug use, is interested in giving back to the community and has some time to volunteer. Please contact Jennifer Adams for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-660-5853.
If you are a community partner interested in joining this group, please contact Jennifer Adams at the number listed above.
Resources Created by the Community Harm Reduction Steering Committee
If you would like to obtain hard copies of any of the resources listed, please contact us at email@example.com
For more information on the Community Harm Reduction Steering Committee contact firstname.lastname@example.org