Control & Outbreak Management
Viruses and bacteria causes most of the common infections. Antibiotics only work against bacteria. They do not work against viruses.
- Includes colds, flu
- Can make you just as sick as bacterial infections
- Usually get better in 4 - 5 days
- Antibiotics do not work against viruses
- Are less common than viral infections
- Do not spread as easily from person to another as viral infections
- Cause infections such as pneumonia and strep throat
Use Antibiotics Wisely
What you should do:
- Do not expect to get antibiotics for every respiratory tract infection. Most of these infections are caused by viruses and antibiotics will not work.
(It takes more time to explain about a viral infection than to write a prescription - trust your doctor if you are not prescribed an antibiotic.)
- Let your doctor decide if an antibiotic is needed and which antibiotic is best.
- Be patient when you (or your child) have cold symptoms, cough or a sore throat. Most viral illnesses will take 4 - 5 days before getting better and up to a 3 weeks for a full recovery.
- Always wash your hands after being with someone who is sick. Remind other to wash their hands.
- Hand Washing…
Avoid a battle with super resistant bug. Use antibiotics wisely!