|Careers - Job Postings / Requests for Tender
Student Placement Requests
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Student Placement Requests
The LGL Health Unit believes we have a responsibility to assist in providing students with learning experiences in public health.
When considering a student placement request, we are guided by these principles:
- Course objectives are compatible with the Health Unit mandate and our current service delivery model
- We can provide a ‘good fit’ between the student and preceptor regarding discipline/experience/ access to client group and activities/resources
- Placement contributes to development of staff
- Placement does not place an unreasonable burden on staff workload or on the agency.
- Placement enhances Public Health Workforce capacity or contributes to the awareness of Public Health in a future community partner.
If you are a student or a representative from an educational institution, and you feel that your course objectives meet our mandate and you are interested in requesting a placement with our agency, please review our Student Placement Expectations, prior to contacting the Health Unit.
Student Placement Expectations
- Will facilitate integration of the student into the team and the health unit culture
- Will plan learning experiences to help meet the students learning needs and objectives
- Will evaluate students progress to meeting learning objectives and give regular feedback to the student and faculty advisor
- Will be available to provide support to the student and will use other members of the health unit to provide learning experiences
- In regards to consolidation students (those approaching completion of their program), will gradually bring the student to execute the majority of the workload
- Will establish objectives to be met during their placement and share with preceptor prior to or at the first meeting
- Will collaborate with their preceptor to guide their learning
- Will demonstrate initiative, autonomy, and good judgment
- Will openly and honestly assess their progress with their preceptor
- Will be open to receiving and incorporating feedback from their preceptor and other members of the team into their practice
- Will be responsible and work within the limits of their role
The Faculty Advisor
- Is a resource person for the student and the preceptor
- Is available during placement hours by telephone, email or pager
- Is responsible for recommending the final mark, taking into account the completed evaluations by the student and the preceptor.
Please note: All summer practicum opportunities for student public health inspectors are posted under Job Postings
Contact Information – Student Placement Coordination