Food Matters was established in 2009 in recognition of the need to provide a venue
where community agencies and individuals can work on issues related to food security within Leeds, Grenville and surrounding area.
All people have access to safe, adequate, affordable and nutritious food that is obtained in ways that maintain dignity.
To work towards a sustainable and resilient community food system that is accessible to everyone.
- Foster empowerment
- Maintain flexible and open attitude
- Be mindful of the social determinants of health
- Incorporate community capacity building
- Cooperating with other agencies, foodcoreLGL, LG Poverty Reduction Alliance Committee, etc.
- To promote supply, access and use of locally produced foods.
- To increase the knowledge and practical skills to grow, prepare and store food.
- To educate and advocate for food security related issues.
- To build a strong network of food producers and consumers, government agencies, and non-government agencies.
Membership currently includes
House of Lazarus
- Country Roads Community Health Centre
- Food for All Food Bank
- Human Services, United Counties of Leeds & Grenville
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit
- Loaves and Fishes
- Operation Harvest Sharing, Brockville & Area Food Bank
- United Way of Leeds and Grenville
- Transition Brockville
- Brockville Community Garden Network
- Well Grounded Gardens
- Leeds Grenville Mental Health
- Brockville Non-Profit Housing Corporation
Gardening and Food Preservation
foodcoreLGL is a partnership of people and organizations from the food, farming and community sectors in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark. The group includes growers, producers, local governments, as well as those working in poverty reduction, health, and emergency food supply (e.g. food banks). foodcoreLGL is creating a Food Charter as a guide for action on behalf of individuals, communities, and those involved in food and farming.