|Reports & Publications - Annual Report 1999
Moulds Could be Harmful if Not Properly Managed
During the year, the Health Unit responded to many inquires regarding indoor mould concerns in schools and in private residences. Moulds are microscopic fungi that live on plant or animal matter. There is evidence that 300,000 or more species of these fungi exist in our environment. Most produce spores and can be transported by air, water or insects.
Moulds are found in virtually every environment indoors and outdoors. Mould growth is encouraged by warm and humid conditions. Outdoors they can be found in damp shaded areas where vegetation is decaying. Indoors, they are usually found in basements, showers, wet drywall or buildings with poor ventilation. Some moulds are also found in tobacco smoke.
Some people are sensitive to moulds. Exposure can cause symptoms such as nasal congestion, eye irritations, asthmatic reactions, fever, shortness of breath and mental confusion.
Indoor air moulds can be reduced by reducing humidity, leaks and condensation. Disinfecting and removal of the moulds and the materials in which moulds are growing is essential in the control of moulds.